Su indicazione del Presidente della Commissione Ambiente dell’Assemblea Parlamentare per l’Unione Europea, Fispmed ONLUS ha oggi trasmesso una raccomandazione che dovrebbe essere fatta propria: dalla commissione stessa e dall’assemblea plenaria. Qui appresso il testo completo.
of the Ad Hoc Committee on Energy, Environment and Water
on the following topics: supporting civil society networks for sustainable development and fight against poverty in the Mediterranean.
- supporting a broad participation of all stakeholders for sustainable development and fight against poverty in the Mediterranean and encouraging all parts of society to take part in democracy-building; supporting an international network aimed to gather consensus among the infrastructural choices made by the Union for the Mediterranean for the social and economic growth in this area,
- A vibrant civil society allows people to express concern, participate in policy and request accountability from their governments. It also contributes to a more inclusive economic growth. Freedom of expression, association, assembly and the emergence of democratic political parties are essential. The need to develop civil society and pluralism is particularly acute within neighboring countries engaged in a rapid changing political system, or with a repressive political regime.
- This recommendation requires the Plenary Session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union for the Mediterranean to approve the following text to be forwarded to the Commission and the European Parliament (Foreign Affairs Committee) in order to create a specific amendment for the European Union 2014 budget:
- “there is a very urgent need to support a preparatory action aimed at promoting dialogue and partnership for sustainable development and fight against poverty, co-funding a Union office for the Mediterranean, in partnership with the civil platform represented by the network/federation of organizations for sustainable development and the fight against poverty in the Mediterranean / Black Sea. In order to ensure, according to a federative approach, the determination of several branches on a regional basis and one coordinating headquarter, based on what the Council of the Baltic Sea States and the European Union did with network Baltic 21”
- It asks to all UfM Member States to take this recommendation into account, supporting these principles for the Mediterranean civil societies.